Monday, September 21, 2009

Pea Soup

Can you see the targets? Because I know I was having a hard time!







Today was the first day of official practice or at least it was suppose to be. One look outside the hotels window and I knew it was going to be pretty sketchy at the venue. I have heard the term “Pea Soup” and today I got my first taste. The fog rolled in over night and it was THICK!!

The team made the short trip over to the venue to see what was going on. They pushed the initial range opening time back from 10 to 10:30 but I think everyone knew that would not change anything. Sam and I decided to walk the course to make up for the change in time. After a preview of the course we returned to the range only to see the same thing. NOTHING!

You could barely make out the targets through the fog with the naked eye. They decided to open the range anyway and then after a couple people fired off some shots the closed the range and the decision was made to combine the men’s and women’s training later in the afternoon in hopes that the fog would burn off.

Needless to say when we returned to the range 4 hours later nothing changed. I ended up running the course a few times and then doing some drills. We ended up having the paper targets taken down and Sam and I took 10 shoots at the metal targets. A lot of the nations where also shooting on metal without to much luck, but it was not surprising because I don’t think anyone could see to zero and most athletes have traveled her from far way places and most likely had there rifles out of the stock as well so it was kind of a crap shoot.

Opening ceremonies tonight and the first race tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment